How many servers do I need to be licensed for?

The following only applies to Muhimbi's on-premise software. Details about the different subscription tiers for the Muhimbi PDF Converter for SharePoint Online / Office 365 can be found here. For details about moving an 'on-premise' license to a SharePoint Online based subscription, see this Knowledge Base article.

Muhimbi's software is licensed on a per-server basis. This means that you need a license for every Production and Disaster Recovery server (hot or cold) that runs our software. In case of the PDF Converter for SharePoint  this means all Web Front End servers, all Application Servers participating in workflows (how to determine this) and all servers running the conversion service. Any K2 Workflow Servers (if any) that have our K2 integration facilities installed require a license as well.

The reason a license is required for all Web Front End (WFE) servers is because WFEs automatically run the Muhimbi software regardless of where the central Conversion Service is installed. The WFEs control such elements as the Muhimbi Workflow Actions, conversion screens, watermarking facilities, configuration screens, HTTP modules etc.

Once the number of servers that require licensing has been determined, use the following table to look up the license that is required.

  • 1 Server: Basic License.
  • Up to 3 Servers: Small Farm License.
  • More than 3 Servers: Enterprise License (Unlimited servers and farms for 1 legal entity contact us if you are a complex organisation that consists of multiple legal entities in a group, or other, structure)

For details about each license type, or to place an order, click on the relevant product below:

If you are planning on purchasing the PDF Converter Professional add-on (to unlock OCR and PDF/A functionality), then the type (Basic, Small Farm, Enterprise) must be the same as for the main PDF Converter License.  For example, an Enterprise License for the PDF Converter for SharePoint requires an Enterprise License for the PDF Converter Professional, while a Small Farm License for the PDF Converter Services would require a Small Farm License for the PDF Converter Professional, etc.

There is no need to purchase licenses for Development and Test Servers or individual users.

A separate OEM License is available for customers who wish to redistribute our software as part of their own solutions, contact us for details. Please note that if you intend to use our software in a SAAS (Software As A Service) based solution then you need the OEM license

For more details about licensing see this post.


Have more questions? Submit a request


Please sign in to leave a comment.